Monday 12 January 2015

Rehearsing

Tonight is my first rehearsal as Musical Director for The Addams Family.



I spent a weekend in December in auditions and casting this, (it feels like ages ago) and now the day is here where I get to start teaching some music.

I am a little nervous (so many different reasons why) but more than that I am excited! The music is cool and a bit different, it is funny and a little rude but more than the content, I have a chance to prove myself and  hopefully it will be the start of many projects here at Nelson Musical Theatre.



I have spent the day practicing on the piano, drinking coffee, chatting to friends all in the hopes of distracting myself so that I don't become a wound up ball of nerves. I had a meeting with a graphic designer to start the process of creating a logo for my teaching studio (so exciting more on that another time). I have watched hours of YouTube and now I am onto writing! Carl is going to be super impressed when he comes home and things are clean and dinner is all ready to go!

One thing that is causing a little bit of concern is that my pianist has hurt his hand so I have no idea if he is going to be able to play tonight which means I have to crack out the trusty sight reading skills and fudge my way through it! What if I forget how to play and everyone laughs at me! After 20 years of playing the piano I still worry that one day I will wake up and have no idea how to play, crazy I know!



This is the start of an epic 12 week adventure. The start of immersing myself into a theatre project that could become a little all consuming. I have done this before and it becomes the main focus in my life. It is my first night with what usually becomes an incredibly tight knit group of people creating a shared experience.


I know this is a little disjointed and rambling, consider it an introduction to what is going to happen over the next 12 weeks of rehearsals and learning.

Bring it on I say!

Michaela x

No comments:

Post a Comment