Monday 5 January 2015

Brushes....Oh so dirty!

This is one of my most hated tasks! But most Mondays (sometimes every second) I haul all my brushes out for the dreaded cleanse! There is only so much that the 'ol spot clean with Isopropyl can do and only so many face brushes that one girl can own to cycle through.

The situation on my make up station!




This is the task ahead of me and I am procrastinating. As I type out this paragraph My brushes are spread out on the bench staring at me crying "clean me! CLEAN ME!". Just a little longer...


They are waiting...

I know this may seem like a no brainer but, for the longest time many years ago I had no idea how to go about this task. I figured a cursory wipe on a towel was as good as it would get. Now that I have been taught better I feel I have my cleaning technique down to a fine art.

The essentials:

  • Brush cleaner (isopropyl alcohol is my choice)
  • Shampoo (baby shampoo or any mild one doesn't have to be pricey)
  • A silicone mit (you can get specific brush cleaning ones or just a patterned pot mit from the $2 shop works)
  • Some rubber bands or hair ties
What I use


The brush cleaner is for spot cleaning through the week and sanitizing. If I have a breakout then I for sure won't use the same brush without doing this. Spray the bristles and swipe on a paper towel and you are away laughing!



Cleaning is pretty basic. I pop a small amount of shampoo on the mit, swirl the brush in it using the bumps and grooves on the mit to clean, then rinse. When your water runs clear gently squeeze the excess water off and reshap the bristles so the dry in the shape they should be.  Not rocket science I know! The part that is pretty important is how you dry them you want to make sure that water doesn't get into the handle and loosen the glue which means your brush will break. Here come the trusty hair ties. it took me longer than I care to admit to figure out how people were doing this but here it is.

 Loop the hair tie around the drawer handle


 Slip the brush through


Half way through.

Voila! If you don't have horizontal handles on anything around your house (my oven and kitchen cupboards get taken over when I do this) you can roll a towel and prop the handles up on this so that the water drains down! 

Tea towels work too!



Now that I have put off washing my brushes for another half hour whilst typing I am off to do it... unless YouTube distracts me first.

Michaela x



No comments:

Post a Comment